Colleagues,
I am hopelessly behind but you still have time to act on this Alert from the Washington Low Income Housing Alliance.

Maureen

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michele, Housing Alliance <info@wliha.org>
Date: Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:36 AM
Subject: ACTION ALERT – Ask lawmakers to dig deeper for investments in affordable housing
To: Maureen Howard <maureenhowardconsulting@gmail.com>

Dear Maureen,

The House released its operating and capital budgets on Monday, and the Senate announced that they will be releasing and holding hearings on their budgets later this week. While there is some great news in the House budgets, they still fall far short overall on the investments our state needs to ensure everyone in Washington has the opportunity to live in a safe, healthy, affordable home. Please ask your lawmakers today to support increased funding for affordable housing and homelessness.

Take action!

The House's budget includes an overall increase of $38 million for homelessness and fully funds HB 1406/Robinson, which will allow local communities to retain a portion of the state's sales tax to invest in local affordable housing. In a tight revenue year, these are wins – and they would not have been possible without your advocacy. Thank you!

However, other key investments are inadequate to the need.

  • The Housing Trust Fund is funded at $150 million instead of the $200 million we know is needed to fully leverage federal dollars and build affordable housing across the state.

  • Housing & Essential Needs received a $12.7 million increase, which will help keep pace with rising rents – but not the additional $56.3 million that would expand the program to address the need and reduce waitlists statewide.

Washington is 44th in the nation when it comes to available, affordable homes for those living on the smallest incomes. We can and must do better. The Senate will release their budgets later this week. You can influence those budgets if you speak up now. Please let your lawmakers know that you support a larger investment in housing justice. (Pictured: HEN recipients traveled to Olympia yesterday to testify on the budget.)

A progressive revenue reform package was also introduced by the House today and helps to fund the investments in affordable housing and homelessness. Watch for more details and opportunities soon to speak up about the need for Washington to enact these revenue reforms.

Thank you for speaking up. Your voice is making a difference in Olympia, and ultimately, for the thousands of Washingtonians who struggle to stay housed.

Michele

Michele Thomas
Director of Policy and Advocacy

P.S. Want additional updates? Join our biweekly advocate calls every other Friday at noon throughout the legislative session. The next call is Friday, March 29, from noon to 1:00. Then mark your calendar for every other Friday after that. To join, call 1-866-339-4555 and use access code 206-442-9455#.

Donate

Washington Low Income Housing Alliance
1411 4th Ave, Suite 1525
Seattle, Washington 98101