I forgot one of the presenters for this Friday. Tristia Bauman, with the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, will also present at the Coalition meeting.  She’s a nationally known speaker, and well worth making the time to hear.  Should be a great meeting.

A blurb someone else wrote about her:

Tristia Bauman is an excellent resource person as we struggle in Puyallup/Tacoma/Pierce County to find innovative, feasible, appropriate, and cost effective strategies to resolve homelessness.

Ms. Bauman is lead attorney at the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty in Washington, DC.  She has extensive experience consulting with cities across the country who struggle with how best to integrate people without shelter into the community.  Tristia has done public policy, advocacy, public education and social organizing to bring homeless people and their communities into fruitful dialogue and solution-oriented conversation.  Tristia also conducts nationwide legal and policy trainings for lawmakers and attorneys regarding the criminalization of homelessness.

She has lobbied testified at the federal, state and local level to expand access to affordable housing and to prohibit discrimination against homeless people.

Though she works from an organization based in Washington, DC, Tristia has a specific interest in Pierce County, having been raised in Sumner.  She has recently taught at the Seattle University School of Law.

Some of Tristia’s publications are: Cruel and All Too Usual, (Sojourners Magazine, 2019); Protect Tenants/Prevent Homelessness (2018); Public Property, Public Need: a Toolkit for Using Vacant Property to End Homelessness (2017); No Safe Place:  The Criminalization of Homelessness in US Cities (2016, 2014); Eviction without Notice:  Renters and the Foreclosure Crisis (2012).

Thanks,

  -Gerrit

Gerrit F. Nyland

Director of Client Information Systems, SW

Catholic Community Services of Western Washington

gerritn@ccsww.org