From: National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty <email@nlchp.org>
Date: Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 1:08 PM
Subject: In Just Times August 2019
To: <maureenhowardconsulting@gmail.com>

Having trouble viewing this email? View as a web page.

Changing Laws, Changing Lives
August 2019
Article Image
Dear Friends—

I’m writing as we’ve just said good-bye to our summer interns—both law and undergraduate. They did stellar work for us, and you can read about them here. Their energy, commitment, and dedication to social justice are a source of inspiration to all of us and to me personally.

Last month, we celebrated the Law Center’s 30 years of impact, making a difference in the lives of millions of people. The interns who helped mark the occasion—including creating a timeline of impact over the years—had not even been born when homelessness first became a national crisis and we started our work.

Now they are joining our cause and our call for basic human rights for all. Earlier this summer, with their help, we launched an election guide calling on all candidates to support policies to end and prevent homelessness, including the human right to housing. To amplify our impact, we also joined the Our Homes, Our Votes campaign led by the National Low Income Housing Coalition.

We were pleased our guide began to generate news coverage, and to see some of the candidates address these issues, including Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, and Julián Castro.

Homelessness is not a new phenomenon, nor are people experiencing it “filth” to be “cleaned up,” contrary to the President’s recent—and outrageous—comments. Nor has it always been with us. As our friend and former Bruce F. Vento Awardee Sherrod Brown noted, mass homelessness started in the 1980's and was born of slashed safety nets, rising inequality, and deliberate public policy choices.

Homelessness can and must be ended. And a new generation of activists is rising up to meet the challenge.

Maria

Maria Foscarinis
Founder & Executive Director
"Habitual Drunkard" Law Ends in Virginia, Opening Room for Constructive Alternatives
On August 2, Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring announced that Virginia would not appeal the 4th Circuit’s decision striking down an antiquated law allowing police to arrest and imprison people deemed “habitual drunkards”. This decision not to fight to keep the habitual drunkard law brings Virginia out of the 18th Century and sets an example for alternative solutions in the modern age, where we know that the best outcomes are reached not through criminalization and imprisonment but through supportive systems and creative alternatives to the criminal justice system.

The Virginia habitual drunkard law allowed the state courts to declare a person a “habitual drunkard,” making it a crime for those people to merely possess alcohol. But there was no clear definition for “habitual drunkard”, allowing the state to deem even occasional heavy drinkers as “drunkards”. As the 4th Circuit stated in its decision, this meant the state could target any person the state thought was undesirable, including those experiencing homelessness.

The Law Center and its allies worked together to talk with the Virginia AG about how ineffective these kinds of antiquated laws are and offered constructive alternatives that actually help to end homelessness and improve outcomes for people experiencing homelessness. Alternative programs also allow police to stop spending time arresting unsheltered people for conduct that would be legal if they were inside homes. Instead, police can spend their time addressing real public health and safety concerns rather than arresting people based on their shelter status. Not only does this increase overall public safety, but it saves money on police resources.

With Virginia’s decision not to further pursue its habitual drunkard law, the commonwealth has taken an important step toward effective solutions to ending homelessness and unsheltered alcoholism. The Law Center is ready to work with the state legislature, law enforcement, and other housing advocates to find alternatives that focus on good outcomes and ultimately housing for all.
EVENTS

NEWS from the LAW CENTER

A Staff Farewell
This month, the Law Center has bid goodbye to Cassidy Waskowicz, our dedicated and talented Acting Director of Development and Communications. Cassidy joined the Law Center team as a volunteer in March of 2018, working to coordinate the pro bono projects that help the Law Center accomplish so much of its work. She moved on to become the Law Center’s Pro Bono Counsel shortly thereafter, in June of 2018, and accepted new responsibilities again in December that year, taking up the Acting Director role for the Development and Communications team. Here at the Law Center, we wish the best for Cassidy moving forward, and we will continue to make use of the valuable contributions she provided in her time here.
NLCHP in the Media

Uprise RI (8/19/2019) Audrey Mead: They are us

Illinois News Gazette (7/28/2019) The Big 10 with Jeff D'Alessio, July 28, 2019

DeSoto Times Tribune (7/20/2019) City mayors dispute ACLU claims

Changing Laws. Changing Lives.
The National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty (the Law Center) is the only
national organization dedicated solely to using the power of the law to end and prevent homelessness. With the support of a large network of pro bono lawyers, we address
the immediate and long-term needs of people who are homeless or at risk through outreach
and training, advocacy, impact litigation, and public education.
 ;

Would you like to forward this email to a friend? Click here.

Share This Email: Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Linked In

Address postal inquiries to:
National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
2000 M Street, N.W., Suite 210
Washington, DC 20036