From: Chris Heer, Housing Alliance <info@wliha.org>
Date: Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 12:00 PM
Subject: A "no cause" eviction? How is that legal?
To: Maureen Howard <maureenhowardconsulting@gmail.com>

Dear Maureen,

A little over a year ago I was kicked out of my home and I was never given a reason why. To this day I still don't know why. I had always paid my rent on time, and I never violated the terms of my rental agreement. Even though I was in poor health with nowhere else to go, my landlord still gave me the notice to vacate my home.

Since then I've been couch-surfing, or living in my trailer - essentially homeless. I've searched over a year for a new place to live, with no success. I'm one of countless households around our state who have experienced the hurtful and destabilizing practice known as "no cause" evictions. I shared my story with the Housing Alliance to let as many people as possible know about my situation, which affects every renter in Washington.

HB 2453 and SB 6379 will prevent what happened to me from happening to other renters by requiring landlords to have a legitimate business reason to force a tenant out of their home.

HB 2453 is being heard in the House Civil Rights and Judiciary Committee this Friday, January 24 at 10am.  This week it's critical that we let our lawmakers know that 2020 is the year we protect renters from "no cause" evictions! Click below to send a letter to your lawmaker:
Tell Your Lawmakers to End 20-Day "No Cause" Evictions
Can we count on you?

With much gratitude,

~Chris

Chris Heer