From: Sarah Brady <brady@childcare.org>
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2020 2:36 PM
Subject: Homeless Child Care Advocacy Updates: Hearing Wednesday 2/4!

Hello advocates,

Our bills to extend the Homeless Grace Period from 4 to 12 months are moving along well! With a little over a week before the cutoff dates for the fiscal committees, next week is going to be a big week for this effort. See below for opportunities to stay engaged!

Updates:

The House bill (HB 2456) passed out of the Human Services & Early Learning Committee last Friday on mostly party lines, and the Senate bill (SB 6351) passed out of the Early Learning & K-12 Education Committee on Monday with only two nay votes. A HUGE thank you to all of you who testified and shared the stories behind the policy. Now on to the fiscal committees!

Upcoming hearings:

The Senate bill has been scheduled for a hearing this coming Tuesday, Feb. 4th at 3:30pm in Senate Ways & Means Committee (JA Cherberg Building, Hearing Room 4). If you are interested in testifying please let me know.

We are still waiting for a hearing for the House bill in Appropriations, but we anticipate it will happen next week as well. We will be sharing our sign-on letter with members of the Appropriations and Ways & Means committees next week.

Take action!

We saw some pushback from Republicans in the policy committee hearings last week, and the talking points attached have been updated to show why a 12-month authorization is so important for kids to have continuous access to child care, and how child care is a critical piece of the puzzle for the homelessness investments the legislature plans to make this year.

Thank you all bringing energy to this effort. Get ready for a busy week!

Warmly,

Sarah

Sarah Brady

Policy & Advocacy Manager

She/Her

Child Care Resources

1225 S Weller, Suite 300

Seattle, WA  98144

541.993.9185

Fax: 206.461.3726

www.childcare.org

Description: cid:image001.jpg@01D1333A.31C37D70   Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: https://abs.twimg.com/a/1377543222/images/resources/twitter-bird-white-on-blue.png   Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: https://developer.linkedin.com/sites/default/files/LinkedIn_Logo60px.png Description: Description: Description: Description: YouTube logo - stacked, white background  Description: cid:image005.png@01D1333A.31C37D70

cid:image006.jpg@01D1574A.C9E85CE0

Serving King and Pierce Counties

Child Care Resources improves all children’s access to high quality early learning experiences by engaging with families, caregivers, and communities. Embedded in Child Care Resources’ daily work is identifying and addressing racism so that all children thrive in their early learning environments.