This might be of interest to some in the coalition re methodologies used.  Al ratcliffe

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Perkins, Douglas D <douglas.d.perkins@vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: [SCRA-L] A People's Atlas of Detroit
To: <SCRA-L@lists.apa.org>

SCRA colleagues interested in CBPR and/or urban neighborhood and industrial-city change, please see the attached book flyer and info from my colleague below [including a discount code for purchasing].  Doug

--

Douglas D. Perkins, Ph.D.
Professor & Director of Undergraduate Honors,

Dept. of Human & Org. Development http://vu.edu/hod

Ph.D. Program in Community Research & Action http://vu.edu/cra
M.Ed. Program in Community Development & Action
http://vu.edu/cda
B.S. Track in Community Leadership & Development
Peabody College #90, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37203-5721 USA

D.Perkins@vanderbilt.edu; skype: dougperkins1

phone: (615) 322-7213

My homepage: https://my.vanderbilt.edu/perkins/
Current project: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Global-Development-of-Applied-Community-Studies

Assoc. Editor, Psychosocial Intervention/Intervención Psicosocial: http://journals.copmadrid.org/pi/

Co-Editor, International Column, The Community Psychologist

From: Sara Safransky <sara.e.safransky@vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 9:52 PM
Subject: A People's Atlas of Detroit

Dear Colleagues,

I’m so excited to share that A People’s Atlas of Detroit is finally here! For those who don’t know, I am a co-editor of the book, which has its origins in a community-based participatory research project and offers an analysis of Detroit’s transformation in the 2010s as told through oral histories, interviews, critical essays, poems, and maps. I am attaching a press release that describes the book in more detail. It’s available for order now and will start shipping on February 19th. We want the work to be spread as far and wide as possible. I would be grateful if you shared news of its release with anyone in your networks who might be interested. Please feel free to pass on the code PAOD for 20% off (when ordered from Wayne State University Press). We are also eager for reviews of the book. As described in the press release, we wrote the book with a wide audience in mind within the academy and beyond. If you have any ideas for journals in your field that might be appropriate outlets for reviews or if you know any book review editors, I’d appreciate suggestions that I can pass to the marketing team at the press.

Thanks for all your encouragement and interest in the project over the years!

Best regards,

Sara

A People’s Atlas of Detroit is a remarkable achievement. Not only is Detroit one of the most important cities to understand, but this book includes a multiplicity of forms of knowledge, which, when woven together, tell a powerful story. A People’s Atlas of Detroit offers a new model and standard for critical urban geography.

– Laura Pulido, University of Oregon, co-author of A People’s Guide to Los Angeles

Detroit organizing has always been among the smartest, sharpest, and innovative work throughout people’s history. This is a project that provides more evidence of this fact—a thoughtful, important resource developed by the people in the very best tradition of community-led and -centered research and analysis. A People’s Atlas of Detroit proves once again that if we seek to understand a place, we must break with the extractive practice of traditional ‘research’ and listen to the people who make it what it is.

– Makani Themba, author and chief strategist at Higher Ground Change Strategies

Sara Safransky

Assistant Professor

Department of Human & Organizational Development

Peabody College | Vanderbilt University

sara.e.safransky@vanderbilt.edu

Pronouns: she, her, hers