From: Patricia Abbate, Tacoma Landlord <info@wliha.org>
Date: Wed, Feb 12, 2020, 8:05 AM
Subject: I'm a Landlord and I support tenant protections.
To: Maureen Howard <maureenhowardconsulting@gmail.com>

Dear Maureen,

I am a landlord in Tacoma, and I support bills that will make our landlord-tenant relationship fairer, including critical Just Cause protections (HB 2453), move-in fee payment plans (HB 1694), and improvements to our eviction process (SB 6378).

You have probably heard loud opposition to these from other landlord groups, but when I read these bills for myself I can see that they are actually quite fair. In fact, there are lots of other landlords like me out there who are not pleased that other groups are speaking on my behalf, particularly when they spread misinformation about what these bills will do. That’s why I’m speaking up in support of what’s right! As long as people pay rent and follow the rules of the lease, I’m here to ensure that people feel safe and secure in their homes, not afraid that I will kick them out suddenly and without a stated reason.

Tell your lawmakers we need better protections for renters!

I will be sending my lawmakers a letter today asking them to ensure these bills get a YES vote on the floor by the cutoff date next Wednesday, and I’m asking you to do the same. With all of our voices, we can improve housing stability for all renters in Washington!

In solidarity,

Patricia Abbate
Tacoma Landlord
Donate