From: Fair Housing Center Of Washington <info@fhcwashington.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM
Subject: Fair Housing FAQs
To: <maureenhowardconsulting@gmail.com>

Good Morning,

We'll keep this intro short and to the point - below are the top 7 Fair Housing FAQs we've received in recent weeks:

1. I've heard mixed information about rent forgiveness. Should I continue paying my rent?
Yes. If you can, continue to make your regular payments. If you need different arrangements, speak with your landlord immediately and get confirmation of any new payment arrangements in writing.

2. What if I can't pay my rent?
Continue to save what money you can for future rent payments. You can also contact the resources here for possible assistance.

3. Will I get evicted if I can't make the rent?
Not for 30 days. Residential landlords are prohibited from serving a notice of unlawful detainer for default payment of rent. Residential landlords would also be prohibited from issuing a 20-day notice for unlawful detainer, unless the landlord attaches an affidavit attesting that the action is believed necessary to ensure the health and safety of the tenant or other individuals. Under these measures, law enforcement may not enforce eviction orders based solely on non-payment of rent. This excludes other circumstances, such as the commission of a crime on the premises or nuisance issues.

4. Ever since the President referred to this pandemic as "the Chinese virus," I feel I'm being discriminated against. What should I do?
Document all instances of discrimination and if possible, get witness statements and take pictures. Contact us and we can further assist you.

5. My immune system is compromised but my landlord still needs to show my apartment to prospects. What should I do?
You can request a reasonable accommodation to have you or the landlord create a video for a virtual tour; request advanced notice so you are not in the apartment; request there be no visitors with cold or flu-like symptoms, and more. Contact us and we can assist you in making these requests. For more information on disability rights under Fair Housing law, check out this free 45-minute webinar here.

6. I can't get to the doctor to get verification for my assistance animal. What should I do?
Try scheduling a virtual consultation or seek verification from another qualified third party. HUD recently issued new guidance on assistance animals and we have a free 15-minute webinar explaining the differences here

7. I have been getting calls from people offering free Coronavirus testing and also financial help? Is this legitimate?
Be very cautious of anyone offering free goods and services over the phone and do not give out your personal information to unknown parties. In times like these, scammers are looking to capitalize on fear and confusion. If you are unsure about any information you've received, write down the name of the company and research them via the Better Business Bureau

These are uncertain times and unfortunately, for many, housing is more unstable than ever. If you or your clients are having difficulty, we are here to help.

Contact the Fair Housing Center of Washington at info@fhcwashington.org and via Phone: 253-274-9523/ Toll Free: 844-557-6322.

The Fair Housing Center of Washington, founded in 1989, exists to prevent and eliminate illegal housing discrimination, ensure equal housing opportunity, and promote inclusive communities throughout Western and Central Washington.
Copyright © 2020 Fair Housing Center of Washington, All rights reserved.
Thank you for supporting the Fair Housing Center of Washington!

Our mailing address is:
Fair Housing Center of Washington
1517 Fawcett Ave #250
Tacoma, WA 98402