Colleagues,
If you can't participate in the actual webinar Wednesday, you can always watch it later.

Maureen

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty <email@nlchp.org>
Date: Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 11:03 AM
Subject: In TWO Days! Racial Equity, Homelessness, & COVID-19
To: Maureen Howard <maureenhowardconsulting@gmail.com>

Racial Equity, Homelessness, & COVID-19

COVID-19 is intensifying the daily impacts of systematic racism on people of color who are already experiencing limited access to resources such as housing, comprehensive healthcare and testing, and the disproportionate use of law enforcement.

Additionally, there are laws that criminalize people once they become homeless, regulating their use of public space. With roots in Jim Crow laws designed to police Black bodies, such laws are used to “sweep” homeless people out of sight.

As Black deaths continue to mount at the hands of the police, as Latinx deaths mount from disproportionate employment in “essential businesses” without adequate protections, as Native American, Native Alaskan, and Pacific Islander deaths continue to mount due to inadequate housing and healthcare, we need to explicitly identify white supremacy, call it out, and create policies that center anti-racist work.

Join us Wednesday, June 3rd at 2 PM EDT/11 AM PST as we discuss racial equity and how it intersects with homelessness during the COVID-19 pandemic, and look to find those solutions that will make sure we come out of this crisis better than we went in. This webinar will feature:
  • Khadijah Williams, DC Education Organizer
  • David Peery, JD, Class Representative, Pottinger v. Miami, Camillus Health Consumer Advisory Board
  • Bernard Guinyard, Head of Diversity and Inclusion at Goodwin
  • Rachel Flores, Emerson National Hunger Fellow
  • Tristia Bauman, Senior Attorney at the Law Center
To view previous webinars and see planned ones, please visit nlchp.org/resources/webinars/.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

This biweekly webinar series will share the actions and legal strategies needed to ensure a right to housing both during the COVID-19 and moving forward. Keep an eye out for future themes and speakers!
 ;

Stay Connected

Changing Laws. Changing Lives.

The National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty (the Law Center) is the only
national organization dedicated solely to using the power of the law to end and prevent homelessness. With the support of a large network of pro bono lawyers, we address the immediate and long-term needs of people who are homeless or at risk through outreach and training, advocacy, impact litigation, and public education.

Address postal inquiries to:
National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
2000 M Street, N.W., Suite 210
Washington, DC 20036

--

Maureen Howard
MaureenHowardConsulting

Tel:  253-756-8146 (LL)
Cell:  253-255-2200
3320 S. 8th Street
Tacoma, WA 98405

"The day is short.  The task is difficult.  It is not our duty to finish it, but we are forbidden not to try."  The Talmud